Happy Fat Pants

The Hutchinsons' Loverly Ride Together

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Someone Offered to Sell Me Drugs on Friday

While I was waiting for the bus on Friday evening, a guy walking by offered to sell me some drugs, using a figure of speech I'd never heard before. Here is the reconstructed dialogue, as best as I can remember it.

The scene: I'm sitting on a bench waiting for the bus. It's cold. A guy comes walking up the sidewalk and we make eye contact.

Him: Are you looking for the trees, man?

Me: Huh?

Him: Are you looking for the trees, man?

[I look over my shoulder to see if I can figure out what he's referring to, thinking that maybe I'll spot some trees in spite of the fact that there's a GIANT BUILDING behind me. I turn back.]

Him: You really didn't hear me?

Me: No.

[He leans in close.]

Him: You looking for the trees? You know--the herb?

Me: Uh, no.

Him: Oh, ok.

That was pretty much it.

3 Comments:

At 5:54 AM, Blogger Kathy K said...

Well, perhaps if you'd been carrying your Dictionary of Slang, you could have been more on top of the situation.

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Eric said...

Yeah, no doubt. I suppose if I had been, I wouldn't have had to say 'huh?' over and over and over again.

 
At 5:42 AM, Blogger Dennis said...

You don't listen to enough hip-hop.

Trees, shrubs, greenery ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home